[Tagging] Coastline around a bridge?

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Wed Oct 3 14:33:42 BST 2012

No, the bridge, called Hollandse Brug, is not a dam, although the
bridge separates two waterbodies. The one to the northwest is called
the Markermeer, and the other one is called Gooimeer.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=hollandse+brug&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

On the other hand, the Houtribdijk (dijk Enkhuizen-Lelystad) is a dam,
but that is not indicated by the coastline. See
http://osm.org/go/0E7zb56-- The waterbody to the northeast is called
the IJsselmeer (IJssel lake), and to the southwest is the Markermeer
again.

I think that the big lakes (IJsselmeer and Markermeer) should be
tagged as coastline. They form a distinct part of the outline of the
Netherlands. The Gooimeer, and the other lakes bordering Flevoland
(like Veluwemeer, etc.) are not.

Actually, that would be tagging for the renderer, which is bad. (The
bigger lakes are freshwater lakes.) Shouldn't coastlines be reserved
for the coasts of seas and oceans only?

Frank