[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=escape_lane

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 12 16:53:37 BST 2012

On 12/10/2012 16:38, José Juan Sánchez del Arco wrote:
> I have updated an old proposal, relating to highways, escape lanes for
> trucks and cars alongside motorways to stop them. Please visit the
> proposal page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/escape_lane

I think this is just a special type of service road, so would be best
tagged as highway=service, plus something like service=escape_lane.
Plus appropriate tags for surface= and access= etc.

According to Taginfo, service=escape_lane is already used 87 times.

I think this is better than inventing a new highway tag, which won't be
understood by any software / renderers etc.

Craig