[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Dave Sutter sutter at intransix.com
Fri Oct 12 17:24:25 BST 2012

I think we should work on making it easier to link to OSM from outside.

People can discuss which entities should and should not be a part of
the map as opposed to being part of an external database. The same
issue came up with regard to ferry schedules and whether they should
be included in the map. In the end, we can never include all the
information inside of OpenStreetMap that someone would want.

Along with this, I think we should work on an OpenWebYellowPages or
some sort of entity database, possibly more general than just
businesses. Like maybe ferry schedules too. The formalism to link back
to OSM would probably be through street address and ref, for example.

As soon as I have the time I would like to put some ideas up on the
wiki, but I am pretty busy these days. I would invite someone else to
beat me to it.

Dave