[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 15 18:08:01 GMT 2012

I don't understand why emergency vehicles are so important in this
discussion. In the first place they have wide-ranging exemptions from
traffic rules, which (let's be honest) we are never going to tag in OSM.
Secondly they are never going to be relying on OSM data (or indeed any
normal sat-nav) for lane-precise routing. They are trained to use their
eyes and brains to make split-second decisions on what is safe and an
acceptable risk under the circumstances of that moment. Thirdly, they
will be about 0.0000000001% of the potential users of OSM data - why
should we compromise "service" to the vast majority of real users for
the hypothetical benefit of the very few.

Colin