[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 16 09:55:12 GMT 2012

Are you seriously suggesting that emergency services will trust a satnav
in preference to their own eyes and brains? Especially a satnav driven
by data with no proactive quality control and no-one you can
sue/complain to? And seriously incomplete data? I think you are looking
at a multi-year project to get all this information into OSM (read:
"review and correct the tagging and topology of every road in the
database") while all the time thousands of people are adding new "bad"
data? A popular dutch saying "mopping up with the tap still running"
comes to mind.

Let's not have a purely hypothetical debate, let's keep it practical.
Assuming that emergency services currently use satnavs (consumer or
special-purpose) based on commercial data, what would they say if we
asked them "what would you need from OSM data to make it a better choice
than your current supplier?" I can imagine that the time delay between
changes on the ground and their availability in a map update might be
one concern; inappropriate road classifications might be another. I
would like to hear it from them, though. Then we can look at the
requirements and assess whether it is a viable project.

Colin