[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:42:22 GMT 2012

2012/10/16 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
> I posted this picture the last time this came up. It shows that dividing
> roads is silly in some situations, for example countryside roads:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/p5Oto.png
>
> You have to divide the road each time there is not a full line on the road,
> ad you should put a restriction where those roads meet that restricts
> U-turns. What is the answer to that?

I find it strange that we are still discussion whether roads that are
only legally divided should/could be split into 2 parallel ways, a
solution that we did - since ever - reserve for physically divided
roads.

The answer to your situation above could be the divider-tag, applied
on a single way, where it would solve many of these situations. For
more complex situations (several parallel lanes, some of them divided
legally, others not) we still would to have something at lane-level,
as the simple divider approach does not tell you in these cases, where
the divisions apply.

The interruption of the continuous line on ~points (=very short ways
not much longer than the width of a lane) could be modeled at
node-level (to avoid excessive way splitting) and for longer pieces it
would be on the way (which would then have to be split).

cheers,
Martin