[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Tue Oct 16 11:27:58 GMT 2012

On 16/10/12 11:48, Simone Saviolo wrote:
> 2012/10/16 Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl
> <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>>
>
>     There's maybe a difference between the case of two lanes in the
>     same direction, and two lanes in opposite directions.
>

> There's none.
> If a solid line is painted between lanes going in opposite directions,
> it's legally impossible to cross the line.
> If a solid line is painted between lanes going in the same direction,
> it's legally impossible to cross the line.
> The directions of the lanes makes no difference at all.

Perhaps in your part of the world, but not everywhere. Crossing solid
lines, as centrelines or lane separators have exceptions for ordinary
vehicles (not just emergency vehicles) here. Yet another example of how
local influences must be applied to documentation. The page showing how
highway types are interpreted in different countries may be copied for
such definitions.

On the other hand, maybe we should stop kidding our selves that OSM, as
a wiki, can ever reflect the legal situation, since anyone can change it
at any time. Maybe we should try to map the physical characteristics and
leave the legal interpretation to the drivers who are required to
interpret what they see on the ground before them and cannot rely on any
map or database for legal guidance. Every pair of hands on a steering
wheel comes with a free brain.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly