[Tagging] Tag ref on motorway_link

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:07:20 GMT 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:47:40 Martin Vonwald (imagic) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering what ref should be used on slip roads/ramps of a motorway
> (not the junction node, but the way tagged with motorway_link). Up to now
> I've seen: * the reference of the junction
> * the reference of the motorway
> * the reference of the junction not in the ref tag but in junction:ref
> * nothing (neither ref nor junction:ref)
>
> In the Wiki (English and German) I couldn't find an answer.
>
> Any opinions/comments/hints are welcome.

I suggest 'nothing'.

The ref of the motorway can be inferred by looking at the end of the slip road
where it connects to the motorway.

Same for the junction number.

A little bit of redundancy is good, but if we can reduce what we store
(because it's easy to derive it from somewhere else) then there's no point in
entering, storing, and maintaining it.

Best wishes,

Andrew