[Tagging] Tag ref on motorway_link

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 23 17:15:51 GMT 2012

Why make exceptions? Let's keep the rules as simple as possible (but not
simpler). Routes are always relations anyway, to allow ways to be part of
multiple routes.

Legislating that a motorway_link should never have a ref tag, is a rule
which is asking to be broken a million times. I try never to remove
(possibly correct) information from OSM. In the absence of guidance from
the wiki, what is "correct" is very subjective. I for one will never
remove an existing ref tag in order to make the slip road wiki-compliant.
If it contains the motorway ref and the wiki says it should be the
junction number then I might "correct" it. But it would be a step too far
to remove the information, which someone, somewhere may be relying on,
without it being available (and supported in tooling) via a different
route.

Colin