[Tagging] Tag ref on motorway_link

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 05:10:02 GMT 2012

On Oct 24, 2012 12:25 AM, "Andrew Errington" <erringtona at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>
wrote:
> > this is why i don't put New York State Reference Route numbers in the
> > ref tag, i put them in ref:unsigned which isn't rendered.
>
> Isn't that simply tagging for the renderer?  And doesn't this just mean
>
> "I put them in ref:unsigned which isn't rendered...
>
> ...yet.
>
> or
>
> ...by this particular renderer.

Who would make a renderer that renders the value of a key like
"ref:unsigned"?  A roadgeek probably, but I think such a rendering
stylesheet should differentiate between signed and unsigned refs.  Anyway,
using something like "ref:unsigned=OH 315C" to mean "this road is part of
Ohio state route 315C but the signs don't say so" sounds perfectly sane to
me.  Richard didn't say he uses that key *because* it's not rendered; he
uses it because it makes sense. The fact that it's not rendered on
general-purpose maps justifies the view that the tag won't cause problems.