[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Obstacle

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Oct 24 16:33:18 GMT 2012

On 24.10.2012 16:00, Konfrare Albert wrote:
> Sorry, I'm following this page
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Proposal_Page#Voting>, and
> I thought that if there aren't suggestions or comments in two weeks, the
> voting could be opened.

You can open the voting, it's not against the rules or anything like that.

However, you have to understand that proposal votes by themselves don't
necessarily mean much. It is explicitly allowed to use tags without a
vote (many widely-used tags never had a vote), and the vote still cannot
force any mapper or application developer to support your idea.

While votes are a very useful tool in certain situations (e.g. they can
resolve stalemates where there are are many equivalent tagging concepts
and no clearly preferred choice), what really establishes a tagging
concept is real-world usage.

> What to do now?
> When do you think I should wait?
> What should I expect?

Had I set up that proposal, I would wait a bit whether it is adopted in
practice and incorporate feedback arising from real-world usage back
into the proposal. But no doubt others would choose to start a vote
right away, so it comes down to personal preferences.

If you would like to finish the proposal process quickly, then feel free
to schedule the vote in a few days - as long as you are aware what a
successful vote means, and more importantly what it doesn't mean.

Tobias