[Tagging] Tag ref on motorway_link

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 16:01:35 GMT 2012

* Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> [2012-10-24 14:49 +0900]:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > using something like "ref:unsigned=OH 315C" to mean "this road is part of
> > Ohio state route 315C but the signs don't say so" sounds perfectly sane to
> > me.
>
> It doesn't sound sane to me.  Either the road has the reference, or it
> does not.  I don't think it's relevant whether it's included on a sign
> or not.

I think it's incredibly relevant whether it's included on the sign.  I
suspect that the vast majority of people who use maps with reference
numbers on them use those maps for navigation.  I think such people would
primarily be interested in signed reference numbers, because it's pretty
hard to navigate by unsigned ones.  Thus, there should be some difference
in the tagging of signed and unsigned reference numbers.

--- --
Real programmers can write assembly code in any language.   :-)
                       -- Larry Wall