[Tagging] Automated edit of company name change

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:16:20 BST 2012

2012/9/2 Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com>:
> Here in Korea a chain of convenience stores has changed its name
> from "FamilyMart" to "CU".  All of the stores have had their signage and
> livery removed and replaced with new signage and livery.

are you sure that _all_ of them changed their signage and continue to
operate? We have had a similar issue of a drug store chain in Germany
(Schlecker) which went bankrupt in 2012 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlecker ) and some mappers wanted to
close all of their shops in OSM as well.

Only after some time and discussion it became clear, that there were
lots of exceptions (e.g. the shops outside of Germany, and some
XL-shops inside Germany as well), so an automated edit would have
introduced a lot of errors. The conclusion was to better have an
outdated information (which can be more easily recognized from remote
to be outdated) then an automatically created apparently correct
information which had never been checked by someone with local
knowledge and might therefor be wrong, but no more automatically
detectable.

cheers,
Martin