[Tagging] Automated edit of company name change

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Sep 2 21:12:45 BST 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

> are you sure that _all_ of them changed their signage and continue to
> operate? We have had a similar issue of a drug store chain in Germany
> (Schlecker) which went bankrupt in 2012 (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlecker ) and some mappers wanted to
> close all of their shops in OSM as well.
>
> Only after some time and discussion it became clear, that there were
> lots of exceptions (e.g. the shops outside of Germany, and some
> XL-shops inside Germany as well), so an automated edit would have
> introduced a lot of errors. The conclusion was to better have an
> outdated information (which can be more easily recognized from remote
> to be outdated) then an automatically created apparently correct
> information which had never been checked by someone with local
> knowledge and might therefor be wrong, but no more automatically
> detectable.

Wow, I am gone from Europe one year and Schlecker goes bust! Incredible!

I agree that the risk of introducing new errors outweighs the benefits
of bulk renaming / retagging.

What you could also consider is adding a FIXME or NOTE tag with
appropriate call to action.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel