[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - man_made=kiln

Richard Smith rich at haveyougotanypets.com
Mon Sep 3 19:19:02 BST 2012

Hi Martin / All

I have thought more on the subject and have concluded that your proposal of
using an output like tag such as product=* is a better way to represent the
output of the kiln for the following reasons:

1. kiln= May lead to ambiguous situation in which users fail to
differentiate between what the kiln produces and the design of kiln. I
could easily see the commonly used tagging list to start including designs
as well as product e.g. some people may think this is a bottle kiln for
firing pottery and as such tag it as kiln=bottle while others tag with
product eg kiln=pottery. Tags should avoid mixed value classifications such
as these.
2. As you stated before it is better to use a more widely adopted tag.
There is more chance a render will be coded to understand the tags other
than kiln.

I have listed your an a few other possibilities below. If anyone has any
better ideas or thinks that product is not the best choice please present
your case. If not i will update the wiki page in a couple of days.

* produce (4706) - The most widely used by far however almost every key is
for things that are grown organically. The term does tend to relate to
organic matter although that is not the strict dictionary definition.
* produces (521) - More lingually correct and has more instances that
product (521) however 97% of uses are in one small area and for one key
(palm_oil) as such it would be much easier to reclasify than product which
is very distributed geographically and fairly distributed value wise.
* output (63)- This is used almost conclusively for rating power output in
kW.
* type - Not recomended by the wiki for reasons i stated in the previous
email and is even less specific that kiln=*.
* product (104) - Lingually correct and has a reasonable spread of similar
values (bricks, beer, lumber, cement e.t.c). Also well geographically
distributed.

If anyone can think of a more used applicable tag please let me know. If
there is a consensus i will update the wiki page. I am also considering a
input type tag such as consumes, if anyone has any suggestions on this that
would also be welcome.

Cheers - Richard

p.s. Encase anyone is wondering this email is about the sub key to describe
a type of kiln see the following proposal page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/kiln