[Tagging] name of river/admin area

Ronnie Soak chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 07:23:26 BST 2012

In Germany, this question is easier to answer.

There actually are streams and creeks that have the word stream or
creak in the name, just that Germans pull the words together, making
it more obvious that its part of the actual name.
Also it is almost exclusively used for smaller water features, like in
'Breitstrom' (broad stream) or 'Klettbach' (Klett brook). It's almost
never used for really big rivers. (Rhine, Oder)

For cities, the situation is similar. Often the equivalent of town,
city or village is part of name name (like: part of the same word).
This again is more often true for smaller towns. But we have some
exceptions:
'Lutherstadt Wittenberg' (City of Luther, Wittenberg) is actually the
full, official name of that city. How do we know? Well as everything
else in Germany, this is tightly regulated and we just need to look at
the official sign
at the city border.

That what makes it easier here: The simple rule is 'Just look at the
official sign'. No city would dare to use different versions of it's
name on official signs or documents.

Best regards,
Chaos