[Tagging] Ferry lines, ways or relations?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:38:23 BST 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Felix Hartmann <extremecarver at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think both should be supported. For simple lines, e.g. crossing a river.
> not using relations should be good enough. For more complex routes,
> especially on the sea, relations are better suited.

I think ferry/sea routes should be modelized in the same way as bus
routes or bike routes, etc on land. Of course, we cannot trace seaways
like highways from aerial imagery but I think we should avoid to trace
a way for each sea route (what a mess). My suggestion would be to
trace a single seaway shared by several ferries and put the route into
the relation.

Pieren