[Tagging] access restrictions on ways

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:57:16 BST 2012

Excuse me if I don't understand the situation entirely, but I think the
problem is the actual access restriction or enforcement of it is different
from a literal reading of the signs.  This must be the case if the signs
don't give adequate information to completely describe the restriction. In
that case, do your best to determine the actual restriction as it is
enforced and map accordingly.

Access restriction tags on nodes should work fine for routers, but remember
if the node is an intersection, the access tags apply to all movement
through the intersection, and you probably want to avoid that.  Also, such
restrictions are less commonly visible on rendered maps; for this reason I
prefer to put access tags on ways if reality can be accurately modelled
that way.

On the other hand, if the restriction exists at a point not at an
intersection and only for one direction of travel, I would have to split
the way there and make a no_straight_on turn restriction relation with
except= or for= tagging to indicate what vehicles are or are not prohibited.

Also, if a road does not permit passage of vehicles unless it's the only
choice (such as going to or from that road or a side street with no other
outlet) then remember access=destination (or hgv=destination, or whatever
else might apply) is something we can do.