[Tagging] Announcement: Voting ongoing for proposed access tagging "Conditional restrictions"

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Wed Sep 19 14:40:09 BST 2012

Hi Ilpo,

Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 15:45:44 schrieb Ilpo Järvinen:
> > > Variable parts in keys will also lead to an undesired
> > > proliferation of unique keys.
> >
> > This is the only argument that is not completely broken, and it has two
> > sides: the Extended Conditions proposal has a moderate amount of keys
> > and a moderate amount of values. The Conditional Restrictions proposal
> > has a tiny set of keys and an insane amount of values. Do the math.
>
> With this proposal I can still pick the key I'm interested in from
> rather small set of keys.

Ignoring compatibility keys, we are already talking about ~150 keys for any base key. That's not something you want to pick from a list.

> And I know what I'm talking here... Somebody
> around here has been doing some traffic volume counting and now all those
> different times put into the keys basically occupy most of the key space
> already (in fact e.g. ITO won't even show all keys anymore because they're
> so many which would obviously be fixable in that particular case as long
> as the browsers can handle such insanely long lists but still highlights
> my point about key space explosion beyond what was considered "sensible"
> upper limit by somebody).

Which "ITO" tool is that?

> I don't find it useful to have a semi-large key
> and semi-large value space instead of sensibly small key space and
> insanely diverse value space per key. I can only image what your proposal
> would cause when all those different times would be put to all keys
> instead of just one.

And what *can* you imagine? The only negative effect you have brought up so far is that it is not possible to list all keys on one page anymore (which has been impossible for quite some time).
Also, existing tagging practise tells us that with the Extended Conditions proposal, keys tend to cluster (e.g. maxspeed:(22:00-06:00) has been used 416 times all over Germany), while with the Conditional Restrictions proposal, clustering in values rarely happens.

Eckhart