[Tagging] Animal_shelter, multiple semicolon separated

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 01:35:06 BST 2012

On Sep 21, 2012 8:11 AM, "Alberto" <albertoferraris at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> Ok, how many of you vote to separate tags "amenity=animal_shelter" and
> "amenity=animal_boarding"? I want opinions from other countries, not only
> from United Kingdom.

I'm from the US.

To me, "animal shelter" sounds like a temporary home for animals waiting to
be adopted, also here sometimes called "the pound".  "Animal boarding"
sounds like lodging for animals whose owners temporarily can't keep them,
more often here called a "kennel" or "doggie day care".  While it makes
some sense to use one tag to describe both, it makes more sense to use
separate values under the key amenity.  Veterinary services should probably
be another distinct value.

> We could also use the key "animal_boarding=<species>" to specify that a
> facility offers boarding service (e.g. "amenity=veterinary" +
> "animal_boarding=cat;dog").
> In the case of a boarding kennel it would be "amenity=animal_boarding" +
> "animal_boarding=dog"

I like that better than "dog=yes" and similar.  I think it can be used with
amenity=veterinary or amenity=animal_shelter or amenity=animal_boarding, or
amenity=(some combination with semicolons).  In the case of
amenity=animal_shelter, tagging like animal_shelter=dog (or whatever
animal(s) accepted) would also make sense, even if the meaning is
essentially the same as animal_boarding=*.

PS if there's any tag that needs better tool support for
semicolon-delimited multiple values, it's amanity=*...