[Tagging] Historic road numbering?

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Sun Sep 23 21:04:26 BST 2012

Am 23.09.2012, 21:06 Uhr, schrieb Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>:

> Is there a means of tagging the old road numbers for a road that has
> been declassified?
>
> Sometimes you are not in a hurry and just want to go the old way, the
> way people went before bypasses, motorways and interstates.
>
> Something like:
> highway=secondary
> ref=B5478
> ref_historic=A49
>
> or
> highway=tertiary
> name=Leicester Road
> ref_historic=A46
>
> In both cases, the first two tags are existing tags.
>
> I am struggling to even find the most famous of all, Route 66.

Hi,
maybe this super-relation [1] could help you. It uses ref=66 and
sub-relations ref=Historic 66.

I think both can be correct, ref=Historic 66 and old_ref=66. First for the
current sign "Historic Route 66", and second for old, dismantled sign
"Route 66".

For routes OSM uses preferred relations.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/93155

Masi