[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 36, Issue 44, 3 John Sturdy

St Niklaas st.niklaas at live.nl
Fri Sep 28 10:39:04 BST 2012

Hi, John,

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:20:04 +0100
> From: John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Uses of parts of buildings
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Martin Vonwald (imagic)
> <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A quick question how you would tag this:
> > * one building (looks from the outside mostly like a residential building)
> > * the building is used for three different things: an office, a riding ground (just assume it's a pitch) and a stable.
> > * the building is not separated - it's just one building
> > * I'm not interested in the detail- tagging, just how you would tag three different uses.
> >
> > My idea right now is:
> > * building=yes for the whole building. Or should it be residential?
> > * for each part draw a separate polygon and tag with building:use=whatever.
> >
> > What I'm missing here is the connection between the building and its parts. So I thought I could use the 3D-extensions for this, namely building:parts=yes on the main polygon and building:part=yes on the parts.
>
> You'd certainly need 3D for many such buildings, as flats / apartments
> over shops are quite common; the different uses will be in the same 2D
> location.

 I do have IMHO a simple suggestion, whats up against adding layers (+1, +2) if the functions are located at different levels ? If not, youll have to separate them by multipolygones as Martin stated. Or even -1 if the parking facilities are below ground level ? Its happening more and more when new residential areas are build. Private parking below !Greets Hendrik