[Tagging] informal helipads for emergency use

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:59:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> i'm thinking both areas and nodes, with tagging that looks something like
> this:
>
> aeroway=helipad
> name=Fred's LZ
> access=no
> emergency=yes
> surface=grass
>
> does this seem reasonable?

Seems reasonable to me, and useful. Maybe an operator=*? There are
plenty of things less verifiable and less "on the ground" that get
mapped - place=locality comes to mind.

FWIW, I noticed recently that some 4wd maps I've been using have
"helipads" marked, deep in national parks. I'm not sure if their
intended use is for emergencies (evacuation points for bushfires,
perhaps) or for loading/unloading supplies. In some areas they're
pretty common - every 10km or so.

Btw, some objections below complain that this would be mapping
"agreements with landholders". I think what's really being mapped is
the *designation* by an emergency authority. Which makes this
information exactly equivalent to any other designation that we
include, including protected areas, road designations, land zones,
etc.

Steve