[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - More Consistency in Railway Tagging

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 06:11:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

In an earlier thread I lamented that railways are tagged inconsistently
throughout the world, and in some cases even within a certain area. I
attribute this to a lack of definition in the railway tagging scheme.

With that in mind, I've written up a proposal that attempts to:

- Refine the basic railway=* tagging to have a more specific definition,
taking inspiration from the tagging conventions around highway=* .

- Adapt the "lanes" tagging scheme from highways to allow descriptions
of individual tracks of a railway where railway mappers find that detail
to be interesting.

- Tackle in particular the (previously very under-defined) mechanism by
which we can tag tram lines that run inside highways, which is close to
my heart as a mapper in a city that has lots of them.

Here's the proposal:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Railway_Schematic_Mapping

I apologize for the length; I was trying to be thorough and avoid
ambiguity. All constructive feedback is welcomed!

Thanks,
Martin