[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - More Consistency in Railway Tagging

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sat Apr 13 20:06:28 UTC 2013

David Fisher <djfisher81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Croydon Tramlink is one counter-example, and I'd concede that
> someone has
> done great work in accurately mapping the path of it that I wouldn't
> want
> > to destroy, but it is sadly completely disconnected from the highway
> network, and that is what I'd like to address.
>
> As a Croydon mapper myself who has made changes to the tramlink
> network...
> firstly thanks for noticing that it looks OK!  It's by no means all my
> own
> work, but I like to think I've done my bit :)   There's actually only
> one
> stretch which is relevant to this debate: the Addiscombe Road section
> between East Croydon and Sandilands (I presume it is this section you
> refer
> to when you say "completely disconnected from the highway network"?).
> All
> the other on-highway parts are only single-track, so are easily
> represented
> by a single way with nodes merged with the highway.
>
> Anyway.  My two cents, for what it's worth:  I am strongly in favour
> of
> mapping highways and railways differently (one way per separated piece
> of
> tarmac for roads; one way per rail for railways).  One form of
> compromise,
> however, could be to treat specifically on-highway rail systems with
> the
> "highway" protocol.  Or, maybe for multi-rail on-highway sections, map
> them
> as separate ways (cf Addiscombe Road tramlink) and use a relation just
> cover these sections?  I realise this is not ideal for cities with a
> large
> proportion of such sections, but long-term it may be a way to maintain
> detail whilst limiting complexity (since relations would not be needed
> for
> *every* section, just shared sections).
>
> Cheers,
>
> David Fisher.
>

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Martin Atkins
> <mart at degeneration.co.uk>wrote:
>
> > On 04/13/2013 10:18 AM, Rovastar wrote:
> >
> >> Martin,
> >>
> >> The example you gave for tunnels and bridges are the same for roads
> as
> >> well.
> >> If you have a bridge or tunnel with 2 roads (one for each one-way)
> and a
> >> train line(s) and footpath each will be a tagged with a separate
> bridge.
> >> So
> >> in that regard rail is actually are consistent with the road
> network.
> >>

> > Point taken: it is a general problem with bridge tagging, not one
> with
> > railway tagging. I found some discussions on the wiki about
> modelling
> [...]

Did you intentionally write "one way per rail", or did you intend to say "one way per track"?  I had not seen anyone in the discussion, up until now, propose mapping each rail as a separate way.  This would mean that a single-track right-of-way would require two ways, unless you were mapping a monorail.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for it is better to think wrongly than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria