[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - More Consistency in Railway Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:00:37 UTC 2013

Am 14/apr/2013 um 15:21 schrieb Rovastar <rovastar at hotmail.com>:

> It seems that the terms light rail and tram are used interchangeably around
> the world so mostly ignore my last comments. I don't know where this leave
> OSM tagging standards for them though. In the UK we do class them as
> different and it just show my sheltered life and knowledge on this
> subject.......

it is not always an easy issue to decide whether it is a tram or a light rail, in Germany we decided to map this according to German law, but different towns might have the same word in German for what legally/technically are different services, in Berlin for instance we use light_rail for the S-Bahn, subway for the U-Bahn (although some lines travel entirely above ground, but never level crossings) and tram for the Straßenbahn. Only the latter shares sometimes the road with cars. In other cities the U-Bahn has level crossings and is operated according to tram rules...

cheers,Martin