[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Apr 18 16:56:44 UTC 2013

On 4/18/2013 11:22 AM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> 2) Two ways, not sharing nodes
> Advantages:
> - keep information separate, retain everything about the train line
> Disadvantages:
> - messy for editing, rendering

  I would tend to keep it separate.  Ideally, once it is a cycleway, it
"is" a cycleway, and no longer an abandoned rail line.  However I have
learned that the abandoned rail lines should not be removed - they
magically regrow, so I allow them to remain as they go through hillsides
which have long been bulldozed down and through blocks of buildings
which have long since replaced the railway.

   Kept separate, perhaps eventually the abandoned railways can be
placed in a yet-to-be implemented historical database.