[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Apr 18 19:32:55 UTC 2013

On 4/18/13 12:56 PM, Mike N wrote:
> On 4/18/2013 11:22 AM, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> 2) Two ways, not sharing nodes
>> Advantages:
>> - keep information separate, retain everything about the train line
>> Disadvantages:
>> - messy for editing, rendering
>
>  I would tend to keep it separate.  Ideally, once it is a cycleway, it
> "is" a cycleway, and no longer an abandoned rail line.  However I have
> learned that the abandoned rail lines should not be removed - they
> magically regrow, so I allow them to remain as they go through
> hillsides which have long been bulldozed down and through blocks of
> buildings which have long since replaced the railway.
many cycleways in the US are part of the Federal Rail bank system, and
this means
that there is a chance, however slim it might be, that they could be
converted into
rail lines again some day.

the legal theories about rail trails are pretty complex, with much
variation from
state to state, for those cases where the Federal Rail Bank law is not
in play:

http://www.railstotrails.org/resources/documents/resource_docs/RailstoTrailsConversionCommentary.pdf

richard