[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway (was: [OSM-talk-be] Abandoned Railways / cycleways)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:20:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Disadvantages
>> - tag clashes, particularly "name=" - is this the name of the bike
>> path, or of the former train line?
>
> Use relations!
>
> (did I really say that?)

Well, yeah, use relations.

But also: I recently helped run a 4 session course on using TileMill
to render OSM data, and it gave me a whole new perspective on how the
average punter consumes OSM data. Services like TileMill will probably
mean a lot more people consuming OSM tags directly, and they'll
probably look first to name=* on the way. (Consuming relations is much
fiddlier...)

Steve