[Tagging] amenity=police

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Aug 1 16:38:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> We were just discussing the amenity tag in #osm. If we are inventing a new
> tag, can we avoid using amenity? Whatever a ranger station is, it is not an
> "amenity" and I would like to stop the spread of this woefully overloaded
> tag. It may *have* some amenities like toilets, drinking fountains or guide
> maps but it is not itself an amenity.

Toby,
I agree that amenity is probably overused. However, looking at the similar
usage of the amenity tag, ranger_station would be the likely candidate to
fall under amenity. Under amenity there is, police, townhall, fire_station,
courthouse, public_building, public_facility, village_hall, etc.

Do you recommendation of a better tag? Personally I like the thought of
leisure=park park=ranger_station. But that doesn't fit the current schema.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch