[Tagging] Tagging of topographic areas with a name

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 6 13:51:37 UTC 2013

Hi everyone.

I'm in the alps, and I've been mapping some areas in the region.
I have two questions regarding tagging where I couldn't find a decent
consensus on the wiki.

There are many areas in the region that go by a specific name. I have
two cases where a group of lakes (as a whole) is known by a name, but
then each single lake has also his own lake.

I found an existing example in France, "Les 7 Eaux":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/45.2466/6.0866

which has been tagged with a multipoligon relation.
Unfortunately, the relation has some problems:

- not rendered anywhere? I would expect that when the scale is high
enough, and there's no place to render the lake names, the name of the
relation is shown. But it's not. On the contrary, unnamed lakes simply
take the name of the relation.

- sometimes I not only have lakes, but I might have other features
inside that area, that are logically part of the same known spot. Is a
relation still a good idea in that case?

It seems to me that the closest tagging scheme might be a loose area
with place=locality. Would that be a good idea?

I did a test, here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/46.4696/10.7590

but again, no renderers seem to pick up this important information (the
name - the boundary itself is not important!), which would be especially
important for a topographic and landscape map.

A related question is the name of the valleys.
I saw several proposed tags in the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Region
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Valley

but not really an official tagging scheme. Valley names are very
important features for a topographic map.

Similarly, we have areas for entire mountain groups, which are
fundamental for a topographic map in the alps. Again, the boundaries of
such areas are not so important, but it's mostly used as an indication
for the name placement.

Thanks!