[Tagging] Tagging of topographic areas with a name

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 8 18:45:51 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 10:19 PM, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
>> Similarly, we have areas for entire mountain groups, which are
>> fundamental for a topographic map in the alps. Again, the boundaries of
>> such areas are not so important, but it's mostly used as an indication
>> for the name placement.
>
> natural=mountain_range is already in use for the Alps. The mountain
> groups within the Eastern Alps are tagged place=region, see the members
> of relation 2113486.

So, I was looking about using place=region for valleys.

At least for the valleys I was looking into, it seems that Italy already
has a "boundary=administrative" multipolygon for most of them, although
in rare cases some natural features are more detailed than the
administrative boundary.

Let's take this for example:

where the administrative boundary matches exactly with the actual valley.

I guess in this case I can simply re-use the geometry in a new relation
with the proper valley name with type=multipolygon, place=region,
region:type=valley?