[Tagging] waterway highway

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Sat Aug 10 08:12:08 UTC 2013

>> Can I have
>> waterway=dam
>> highway=*
>
> you could, but I'd suggest to use distinct objects and add layer tags to one in order to define stacking.

I think that one single object should suffice as long as the dam and the
road don't have different names or something. We don't make separate objects
for highway=* and embankment=* either. However, I am afraid that some
renderers are too dumb to extract a highway and a dam out of one object.
That makes your suggestion seem fine from a practical viewpoint.

There are bridges with a pipeline inside and a footway on top (or an
underground railway inside and a road on top). In that case, we should
definitely separate them in order to define layer=*. It is important to
duplicate the nodes too because the pipeline is not connected to the footway
(as opposed to the road which is connected to the dam). If we would care,
even the nodes should get layer=* tags.