[Tagging] Tagging of topographic areas with a name

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 10 16:17:59 UTC 2013

On 09.08.2013 07:34, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> On 08.08.2013 21:15, fly wrote:
>> On 08.08.2013 01:24, Pieren wrote:
>>> I really hate "type=collection". One of the worst idea in OSM. All
>>> relations are collections.
>>
>> +100
>>
>> Especially, if you read: "Relations are not meant to be used as
>> collections"
>
> It is interesting that you agree by "+100" although your reason is the
> negation of Pieren's reason.

Not at all but the meaning is different:

* All relations are some kind of collection caused by design.
* You should not use a relation to simply collect/group some objects
together. This means I do not need a relation for all "German Autobahns"
or all bus lines in a city or even all valleys of a mountain group. Even
site-relations should only be used if it does not work without it
(several non-connected areas).

Another reason I am against this collection is that you might not always
have the same borders with the subgroup (valleys). You will need to
create a new (sub)-relation to get only part of it into your collection.

Please use boundaries and not multipolygons !

cu
fly