[Tagging] Tagging of topographic areas with a name

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Sat Aug 17 15:47:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

* fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> [130817 17:13]:
> On 16.08.2013 19:05, Masi Master wrote:
>> Hmm, I'm not sure that boundary is the right tag. Isn't it a border, and
>> not an area?

> Boundaries describe an area but you are right that they are not really
> boundaries, especially if the border lines are not clearly defined
> [..]

I'm under the impression this discussion is leading to ever more complicated
ideas, due to the problem that the features we want to name on the map
are not really clearly defined areas.

Maybe we should try a completely different approach. We could draw
a way along the approximate center line of the feature and tag it
with name=*, topo_feature=mountain_range|ridge|valley|...
A renderer that wants to display the name should draw it along that
way with the length of the way giving a hint about the size of the
feature.

Wolfgang