[Tagging] Re : road side

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Aug 25 18:05:49 UTC 2013

On Aug 19, 2013 1:23 PM, "Tod Fitch" <Tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> On Mon, August 19, 2013 11:11 am, yvecai at gmail.com wrote:
> > Is there a generic term that could include shoulder and verge,
'road-side'
> > maybe ?
>
> In the US it would be shoulder for both:
> http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/publications/flexibility/ch06.cfm
>
> Maybe shoulder=*

I see other documents and signage, particularly in states with a lot of
agriculture, refer to hard and soft shoulders, and roads (especially
Interstate freeways) can have both simultaneously.

Then there's the Californianism of throwing "emergency lane" into the mix
to refer to a hard shoulder closed to traffic that would be allowed in
other situations, like regular bicycle and foot traffic...