[Tagging] bicycle barriers open issue: bicycle trailors

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 18:36:23 UTC 2013

I am particularly interested in tagging cycling routes, including the
national long-distance cycling network Bicitalia in Italy.

In Italy cycle paths are frequently de facto blocked by chicane-type
bicycle barriers.
So my tagging is typically a node with

barrier=cycle_barrier
foot=yes
bicycle=dismount

When I am sure that a normal wheelchair can pass I would add
wheelchair=yes.

In many cases I am sure that even a small bicycle trailer would not pass,
and I would like to mark this, but there is no established way of doing it.
In the wiki, it's mentioned as an open issue (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dcycle_barrier)

Taginfo shows 8 uses of bicycle:trailer - this is certainly not a
widespread use.

Should I simply systematically use bicycle:trailer=no and hope that others
follow? Or formulate a proposal and ask for votes? Any other ideas?

Volker
(Padova, Italy)