[Tagging] telephone lines (and marking other things we don't map)

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:42:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> But what if the pole has both telephone and power on it? ;)  That's what's
> common here in my neighborhood.  I can look out my front door and see a pole
> with both of them using it.

For that, I'd suggest man_made=pole with power=yes and telephone=yes,
or something like that (maybe "communication" instead of "telephone",
as telephone lines are also used for ADSL etc).

Really I'd prefer a top-level tag "utility=*" e.g. "utility=pole", as
I think that's a distinct domain like "leisure", "amenity" and so on,
but I think it's probably a bit late for that, and man_made is
probably the best existing tag to include them in.

__John