[Tagging] bicycle barriers open issue: bicycle trailors

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Aug 28 18:01:26 UTC 2013

We've established:

   1. There are all manner of vehicles that may have trouble getting
   through the chicane
   (bikes, trikes, tandems, trailers, wheelchairs, canoe trailers,
   trail-a-bikes, land-rover baby strollers, etc.)
   2. No simple geometry measurement determines what will fit (
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_sofa_problem)
   3. It may be easy or hard to bypass the barrier (e.g. by lifting the
   vehicle over), rotating it sideways.
   4. We don't want to imply that these vehicles are *prohibited*.
    bicycle:trailer=no is easily confused with bicycle=no.

So the question is "what fuzzy tag to use"?  We can say with certainty it
is an exclusion barrier of some sort:
     barrier=exclusion

With a bit less certainty we can say it is narrow:
     width=narrow

Or simply warn the routers that extra time will be required to pass this
point:
     dismount=geometry
     bicycle:dismount=geometry
Here "geometry" as the dismount reason, to distinguish it from a legal
requirement to dismount.

There are all sorts of exclusion barriers: motorcycle, style, kissing_gate,
turnstile.
One of these may imply the type of barrier you have here.  Routers should
understand that a route with a barrier takes longer than a route without.