[Tagging] funny tags: turning_radius

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 29 14:57:19 UTC 2013

Won't the calculated radius depend on the number of points on the way,
and the width of the road? If you look closely at the geometry of a
curved road in OSM it is of course made up of straight segments with a
certain angle between them. A right angle junction might be a 45 steps
of 2 degrees each, giving a smooth curve with a certain radius, but it
can also be represented by a single node with an angle of 90 degrees.
How do you work out the turning radius from that?

On 2013-08-29 16:48, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> On 08/29/2013 09:33 AM, Pieren wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was very surprised to come across that tag [2]
>
> I will remove it from the "map features" page. Radius can be calculated from the way geometry. It has been used 7 times by one user so far... Next comments on this should be forwarded to the tagging list.
> Pieren

I suppose the logic is to say "what is the largest turning radius that
can turn around at this point", but it does make more sense to calculate
it from the way geometry instead.

Links:
------
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turning_radius