[Tagging] Ace Hardware

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Aug 30 13:28:02 UTC 2013

On 8/30/13 9:12 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I don't think the distinction in their governance is important for a
> map.  There's a slippery slope somewhere where osm becomes wikipedia.
> What's important is that there's a hardware store, and the name it is
> known by.
>
> I would use franchise.  If you want to make up "weak_franchise" for
> stores that are part of Ace but for which this is not really apparent to
> the public, that seems ok.
i'm inclined to think that the existing brand tag, combined with name
and operator, is sufficient. franchise might be ok, but it strikes me as
unnecessary tag creep.
> Around me, there are several that are "[townname] Ace Hardware", and you
> know you are going to Ace, but that it's locally owned.
> There was "Robinson's Ace", where you knew it was Ace, but now it's
> "Robinson's True Value" and it's not really different.
the only difference is generally in the ace (or true value) branded tools
and supplies. the milwaukee brand drill is the same drill in both stores,
with approximately the same price. the midwest fastener display will
be about the same irrespective of store brand as well.
> I don't like the co-op tag because normally co-op has the connotation
> that the user of the store is a co-op member, not that the store is at a
> higher level.
i agree. a coop tag used in this manner will lead to confusion and
mistagging.

richard