[Tagging] Security Gate Post/Cabin

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sun Dec 8 21:31:27 UTC 2013

Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-12-08 at 08:51 -0800, Tod Fitch wrote:
> > It has been a while since I worked in a facility with such a
> building. But I recall it being called a "guard shack" or "guard
> house". Taginfo has only one guard_shack (and one guard_booth) but
> does have 100 guardhouse entries. The few building=guardhouse entries
> that I looked at via bing imagery do seem to be the type of facility
> being discussed.
> >
> > And the "modern usage" section on Wikipedia seems to fit:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardhouse
>
> Guard house tends to be more on a military installation rather than a
> civilian factory. Shack is a very American word...
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

When I worked as a factory security guard in Nashville, TN, USA, in the 1980s, the guards tended to use the term "guard shack" in conversation, but we had to call it a "guard house" in our written reports, because our supervisor felt that "guard shack" sounded too informal.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.