[Tagging] Topographic place names

bulwersator bulwersator at zoho.com
Sun Dec 15 21:35:04 UTC 2013

It is usable only for maps generated for area similar to the one pictured, therefore it should be added at stage of processing data, not to the OSM database. It suffers from the same problem as "lets place a single node."

---- On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:16:39 -0800 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote ----

On 12.12.2013 21:52, Steve Bennett wrote:
> It'd be a way, not a node. And maybe there are strong guidelines
> somewhere for defining its exact location?

You could also use an area and construct a word shape as illustrated in
this featured image:
http://wiki.osm.org/File:Maxbe-stubaier-beschriftung_en.png

Here's the map as a whole:
http://geo.dianacht.de/topo/?zoom=10&lat=46.947&lon=11.09077

I can't tell how well it would work (and whether the current tagging of
those mountain range areas is the best choice) but the resulting map
looks nice.

Tobias