[Tagging] Related: Antarctic territories

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 10:56:27 UTC 2013

I am not qualified to answer any of these questions as I've never got
involved in editing boundaries in OSM however it does raise an
interesting wider question, which is, how do we map all territories that
are claimed by one country or another but not internationally recognised?

Some territories are officially recognised by the UN as being under
dispute but then there are others where the UN recognise one nations
claim over another's but it has never been enforced. First example that
springs to mind is the land that Israel has taken from the Palestinians
and the UN demand that Israel roles back it's current borders.  Do we
map what is on the ground, which seems to be the common argument, or do
we map what is widely recognised as the official situation?

Sorry for not proffering any answers but more questions ;-)

Jonathan

http://bigfatfrog67.me