[Tagging] tower vs mast vs antenna

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:12:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM,  <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> The local TV and radio here is broadcast from Belmont. The structure is often called Belmont mast, as are other tall broadcast structures. Belmont mast was until 2007 the tallest structure in the UK, so size is not the key. It is guyed. A mast can be a lattice tower, rarely if ever guyed, often now with many microwave dishes on it. Mast would be my first choice to describe it, but I do recognise tower too. It may be a somewhat regional phrase even within the UK.

Yes, as a native UK English speaker, I'd call a guyed metal structure
a mast, and not a tower.

> A tower, to this Brit, can be confused with the stone or brick thing on the end of a church or castle or the building on an airfield where a radio operator or controller works. These would never be a mast

+1 --- for me (UK English), "tower" implies brickwork or stone.


More information about the Tagging mailing list