[Tagging] tower vs mast vs antenna

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Feb 7 11:39:34 UTC 2013

I think that a tower has some means, such as stairs to climb it, so that covers things like the eiffel tower, I would also include a fire station tower in this, many are steel girder structures, but have stairs.

Phil
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 07/02/2013 10:56 ael wrote:

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 06:47:03PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> In UK English, the word "aerial" is used instead of "antenna".
>
> I have the impression, not well substantiated, that what I would call a
> tower in the US is often called a mast in the UK, particularly if it is
> not particularly tall and not built of steel lattice.

In the UK English, the word tower without context would usually suggest
a stone, often historic, structure.

Likewise, mast would be the usual name for something other than brick/
masonary/wood supporting an aerial/antenna. That regardless of height.

There are obvious exceptions like the Eiffel tower & Blackpool tower.

But I don't think UK native speakers would be too worried by slight
deviations.

ael

Tagging at openstreetmap.org