[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:20:08 UTC 2013

2013/2/9 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>

> **
> I know that in the US there is debate amongst mappers, whereas in most
> European countries the road number implies motorway (M in the UK and
> Ireland, A in France, Germany). The access points then have the
> international 'chopsticks' sign.

in Italy the sign is different (it is green, while the blue one is
indicating an expressway) ;-)

In countries where cyclists are allowed I do wonder if they are really
> motorway,

+1, usually the definition for motorways is that they exclude slow traffic
so if bicycles are allowed, they might not be "real" motorways by that
definition.

Generally I also agree with Andre Engels: there are no real "defaults", and
there is no problem in tagging explicitly what some people might perceive
the "default" for a certain context. It lets you distinguish checked
attributes from assumed ones (as long as mappers don't add these tags
semiautomatically to all ways of a certain type rather than surveying them
individually).

cheers,
Martin