[Tagging] Tagging 'averaged' paths in rural Mali

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 00:51:14 UTC 2013

2013/2/10 william skora <skorasaurus at gmail.com>:
> Hey everyone,
>
> As you may know, HOT is currently mapping infrastructure in Mali. In flat
> rual areas, there are
> some 'highways' (unpaved ground) that are very close to each other (up to
> ~100 meters ) that all lead to the same villages or destinations.
>
> Here is one example: http://binged.it/Y2XLqR
>
> We have generally traced these like we have with GPX without satellite; one
> average trace of the possible paths (since no one way is really more
> important thatn the others). So we would like some sort of tag to add
> additionally to not that in addition to being a highway=whatever this road
> is not a simple centerline, but rather just an average and you shouldn't try
> to follow it exactly (or necessarily expect to be able to follow it
> exactly). As Andrew Buck in #hot noted, 'they are useful for understanding
> the level of economic development in the area since they are sometimes
> caused simply by the lack of someone actually building road (although in
> most cases it just doesn't even make sense to build one)'.
>
> Do you have any suggestions of how to tag these ways ?

IMHO in first approximation it would be OK to simply draw one of these
(to create the connection, the most useful part) and eventually in a
later state you could add more of them. The fact that they run
parallelly doesn't mean each of them isn't a (high)way which could be
mapped on its own.

cheers,
Martin