[Tagging] Contents of Tagging Digest, Vol 41, Issue 27

St Niklaas st.niklaas at live.nl
Mon Feb 11 12:01:53 UTC 2013

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:31:06 +0100
> From: Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Tagging 'averaged' paths in rural Mali
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How about drawing a single 'representative' way as you have been doing, and
> > adding width=100?
>
> ?? and why not 500...
> First, from what I can see on this aerial imagery, congratulation. It
> is very hard to distinguish something on these pictures. What I see is
> not a 'highway' but more an "informal track in the desert" or "the
> shortest way between point A and point B". Something that will
> disappear or change after the next sandstorm.
> Maybe try a new "highway=track" + "tracktype=grade6" where grade6
> would be defined as "informal track in open area (e.g. desert); might
> be an average of several parallel vehicles marks" ?

Hi like Pieren said its a infromal bundle of tracks, in Holland we call them Hessenwegen, Hessen, merchants from Germany used these tracks with heavy vehicles and just changed the track if it was ruined. Take a arial look here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.04435&lon=5.7163&zoom=15&layers=M and even the original tracks are visible here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.01674&lon=6.65436&zoom=16&layers=M between Gasteren and Rolde, the tracks are 400 to 500 m apart, but form a route between the places. They are concentrated at the voorde, (river crossing) Its also possible to take a look through google maps, but dont tell everyone.I would consider the area to tag as it is an area with several (middle aged, 1000 - 1600 years) roads. The same as in Africa, no obstacles so youre free to go anywhere, one road is as good as another or even better and tag it accordingly.Greetz