[Tagging] tower vs mast vs antenna

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sat Feb 16 22:22:26 UTC 2013

On 16/02/13 20:28, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Deanna Earley <dee at earlsoft.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/02/2013 09:49, osm at raggedred.net wrote:
>>> A tower, to this Brit, can be confused with the stone or brick thing
>>> on the end of a church or castle
>> Especially as another well known mapping agency over here has 3
>> different church symbols, "Church", "Church with tower" and "Church
>> with
>> spire" :p
> So, what symbol do they use for a church that has both a tower and a spire, either separately or with the spire atop the tower?

As I see it: If there is no tower or spire then just a cross. With a
tower, but no spire then a square with a cross. With spire, either with
or without a tower (often with a tower below the spire) then a round
symbol with a cross. The highest, most stand-out-visible object
determines the symbol, which makes sense to me. The maps in question
were designed to show such things partly as a visual aid to navigation
so symbolising the most visible object was most useful.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly